Jul 5, 2013

Translating video captions in memoQ

Since my first explorations of editing video caption files in a text editor last week, I've learned quite a few ways to improve the process. I found a free, cross-platform Open Source tool, Aegisub, for editing the captions. It is particularly helpful when the timing needs to be adjusted, and its use is fairly intuitive. It beats working in Notepad or Microsoft Word by a long shot.

For translating caption files I also discovered a useful resource on Kilgray's Language Terminal: a Regex text filter designed to filter out the segment numbers and time codes in the caption files. Useful exclusion rules to configure for this are as follows:


The resource file for the filter settings (MQRES) and some sample cation files in English can be downloaded here.

Here is an example (preview) of how text is filtered:


To ensure that the correct filter settings are used for the captions text file, use Import with options... in memoQ and set the file type to "All files (*.*)" for the likely case that the file extension is not recognized by memoQ:


If you want to change the text breaks in a given time segment, use the Join function to combine segments, and place the tag for the line break wherever it makes sense to do so:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Notice to spammers: your locations are being traced and fed to the recreational target list for my new line of chemical weapon drones :-)